Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Close and comfy with Katarina Rodriguez of Asia's Next Top Model S2

SECOND CHALLENGE. Asia's Next Top Model judge-photographer Mike Rosenthal liked this photo of Katarina.
All photos courtesy of Visions and Expressions

Meet one of two Filipinos competing in the Asian modeling competition

MANILA, Philippines - I met Katarina Rodriguez last January 9 at the TRESemme x Asia's Next Top Model S2 intimate press conference at Brasserie Girolle, The Fort Strip, Bonifacio Global City. It was great to see my friend Joey Mead King again, as well as Apples Aberin of Unilever, Ginggay dela Merced of Visions and Expressions and, of course, Jodilly Pendre, a model I had worked with several times over when I was actively doing fashion styling.

I was curious about the other girl in the competition, after finding out from Joey that we had two Filipino models this time around. (In season 1, only Stephanie Retuya represented the Philippines, and she came a close second to winning.)

When I saw Katarina the first time at the event, I immediately thought that her face was exquisite. She also had the height and built of a model. The thing that remained for me to find out was that if she had a good personality.

Modeling, after all, is not just about looks and skills -- it's also about character.

"That's a nice nose stud!" Katarina told me as soon as I approached and asked her for an exclusive interview after the event. She was warm and open, and not difficult to like. She asked me more questions about my nose stud, which I happily answered.

I am writing this post after watching the second episode of Asia's Next Top Model S2 on Star World, and I am quite upset that the girl from Thailand, Tia, called Katarina a "Filipino slut" during a confrontation. A fired up Katarina replied, "Say that again? You child!" The episode didn't show how the confrontation ended, but Tia got her karma when she was almost eliminated from the competition.

Katarina proved my first impression of her right when she gladly accommodated my request for this interview. She's classy and honest. She's a yoga practitioner, so she knows how to center herself. I like this girl already, and look forward to seeing more of her in the fashion industry.

"AWKWARD HANDS." Katarina's photo for the opening credits of the show, shot by Mike Rosenthal.
She is not afraid to admit that she came to the competition with almost no professional modeling experience.

Read on and get to know the first of two Filipinas doing our country proud in Asia's Next Top Model:

Please tell us about your modeling background (or lack of, as mentioned in the first episode) and how you got into Asia's Next Top Model. 
I never modeled professionally -- or genuinely modeled, for that matter -- prior to joining Asia’s Next Top Model! I am one of two girls who entered the competition with A LOT of catching up to do.

What were you doing before Asia's Next Top Model? What made you join?
Before the competition, I was studying philosophy and business management at De La Salle University, and also running competitively for the De La Salle’s varsity women’s Track and Field team. I also practiced yoga daily. :)

I joined Asia's Next Top Model because, on my 21st birthday, my best friend surprised me with 6-inch black pumps, while another informed me about the open auditions in Hyve. They convinced me that I had to at least audition because it wouldn’t hurt. They knew that modeling was always a secret dream of mine, so I auditioned and made it! :)

Are you keen on pursuing modeling?
I am planning to [take up] masters in economics. However, I have decided that modeling will be a huge part of my life after the competition. I want to make it internationally.

Tell us about the experience. What was it like to be around professional models? What went through your mind when you fell into the pool in the first challenge? (There was no video of you crying, so I am guessing you didn't. You're really sassy!)
The girls were nothing like some of the models I have met. They were not snobby, arrogant or ignorant. They ate 24/7 and were insanely hilarious! Some of them helped me out a lot while others not so much, which I did not take personally because, after all, it was a competition.

When I fell into the pool, my initial thought was to swim back like I would in a triathlon, then maybe come out like a Bond girl. That did not work too well because I had the biggest wedgie the world could think of. (laughs)

I actually injured myself on the glass [runway] and had blood streaming down my leg from my knee. It was Jodilly who pointed it out, and as soon as I saw it, I did cry! It was painful and bruised the size of a tennis ball, like two knee caps on one knee, pretty much. There is even a battle scar, still!

Tell us about your relationship with Jodilly. How did you guys become friends? How did you support each other as fellow Filipinos?
Jodilly and I became close when we realized we shared a lot of the same values and opinions on the differences of cultures mixed within the house. She literally read my mind, and still can! We clicked really well. Even my barkada (group of friends) before the competition complain I am always with her now!

Did Jodilly -- her being a veteran ramp and editorial model -- give you any tips to help you even if you guys were competing against each other? If so, what tips were these?
She did give me some tips with ramp after I was taught just to polish it up. :) I know if I asked for her help, she would [have helped me] in a heartbeat, but I wanted to try and get most of everything on my own.

Episode 2 that just aired on Star World (January 15, Wednesday, 9:40pm) showed you in a fight with another model. What caused it? You're a nice girl and not mataray at all!
Well, for one thing, it takes a WHOLE lot to get me mad; and when I get upset, I really get upset. I don’t want to give a lot away, but all contestants grew up completely different and had different levels of maturity and sets of morals.

What ticks you off?
I would have to say arrogance, when people act superior to the world and believe they can make everyone else inferior -- and divas!

What is your skin care regimen?
Drinking water consistently through the day and eating right

What is your signature fashion style?
The basics with one stand out piece!

What lessons did you learn from your Asia's Next Top Model experience? 
The best advice [I received]: it does NOT matter [whether] you are thin, tall or beautiful, if you don’t know how to commit and deliver to what the photographer, designer or whomever is asking for. If they want you to be a high fashion bird in a tree, you better believe you’re a high fashion bird in a tree.

If you had another chance, would you do it again?
I would do it again and again and again!

The show will expose you to an audience you've never been exposed to before. Are you ready? How does it make you feel? 
I don’t think it fazes me too much! Going to high school in the US trained me well enough on how to deal with the negatives. (laughs) I don’t have anything to hide, really. I am pretty much an open book so there is nothing to be private about.

Would you ever consider joining a beauty pageant?
Probably not! I have been asked to, but it’s not really my thing. There is a huge difference between pageant girls and models, and surely different expectations.

Why should we watch Asia's Next Top Model?
Everyone should watch Asia’s Next Top Model because this season sets the bar for every season after, from the extremity of the challenges, to the themes of the photo shoots, to the who’s who of the guest judges, drama here and there, AND because these girls are once in a lifetime kind of people. :)


ICE QUEEN. Katarina poses for the challenge in episode 3, airing January 22

Fast facts about Katarina:

  • Favorite color - Pink
  • Favorite food - Pasta
  • Fitness routine - Running and yoga
  • Modeling/fashion idol - Cara Delevigne, because she’s not afraid to embrace being weird or being daring
  • Where she hangs out - The mall
  • Music - Indie/EDM
  • Favorite artists - Jake Bug, Lana Del Rey, Artic Monkeys, The Black Keys, Rihanna, Justin Bieber ("Pogi")
  • Favorite songs - "Do I Wanna Know” by Arctic Monkeys, “Say Something” by A Great Big World, “Can We Dance” by the Vamps, "Wait For a Minute” by JB, and “Lonely Boy” by The Black Keys
  • Hobbies - Running, yoga, reading, drawing

Here are photos from the TRESemme x Asia's Next Top Model S2 event:

CHIC AND SLEEK. The set-up for  TRESemme x Asia’s Next Top Model Season 2 at Brasserie Girolle
STYLE TRIO. Bubbles Paraiso, Raymond Gutierrez and Unilever Philippines PR Head of Personal Care Apples Aberin
MODEL MENTOR. Joey Mead King with Raymond Gutierrez
TOP MODELS.  Katarina Rodriguez, Apples Aberin and Jodilly Pendre 
AFTER THE PANEL. Raymond Gutierrez, Katarina Rodriguez, Jodilly Pendre, TRESetters Lourd Ramos and Joey Mead King, with TRESemmé brand manager Ann Esteves
TRESemmé KERATIN SMOOTH RANGE. Nourishing Keratin Shampoo, Nourishing Keratin Conditioner, Heat Protection Shine Spray and Keratin Deep Treatment Masque 
FROM COMPETITORS TO FRIENDS. Katarina and Jodilly

Catch Katarina and Jodilly on Asia's Next Top Model S2 every Wednesday, 9:40pm, on Star World. The episode replay is every Saturday, 8:45pm.

Connect with Katarina on social media via Twitter and Instagram @KatarinaRodri, and on Facebook through her Asia's Next Top Model page. For more photos and updates, follow Asia's Next Top Model on Facebook. - #CoffeeWithKai

1 comment: