Friday, January 10, 2014

The weight-loss inspiration that is Geoff Eigenmann

HE DID IT! Geoff set out to lose weight that held him back, and he did it in just 3 months. Image from Men's Health Philippines on Facebook

Men's Health PH's January cover boy bounces back from a low -- and heavy -- point in his life

MANILA, Philippines - We're used to seeing a Geoff Eigenmann who's quite chubby. Honestly, I always thought it added to his baby-faced charm.

But the Geoff I saw last January 7 at the launch of Men's Health PH's January issue at 55 Events Place in Quezon City was a different person. He was still charming and baby-faced, yes, but he was more manly, more grown up.

I learned at the event that Geoff had lost 40 pounds in 3 months. Woah, I thought. I have experienced losing 25 pounds in 3 months, but 40?! That was no small feat!

Peejo Pilar, Men's Health PH editor-in-chief, described Geoff as "the man who perseveres and gets things done" that's why he was chosen for the cover of the first issue of the year. Also launched at the event was the Women's Health PH January-February issue, featuring cover girl Bianca Gonzalez.

Bianca Gonzalez: 'Cardio always works'

So my question was: how did Geoff do it?

I read the cover story on Geoff written by Brian Adrian H. Borleo, and identified how Geoff lost weight this time (it was not the first time he did it) in 6 "steps":

Step 1: He received a "fat memo" from GMA in May 2013
"I don't want to bullshit you: it wasn't just a suspension. Nawalan ako ng trabaho. (I lost work.)" Geoff was given 3 months to get back in shape.

Step 2: His cousin, Gabby, introduced him to Erwin Tagle, Mixed Martial Arts fighter-turned-trainer and program director/part-owner of Ultimate Fitness in Pasig
According to Tagle, "Hindi ko siya namukhaan. They told me tumaba raw siya, pero I didn't expect that he got that big. I told him that he should go to my gym the very next day."

(I didn't recognize him. They told me he had gained weight, but I didn't expect that he got that big. I told him that he should go to my gym the very next day.)

Step 3: Geoff went to Ultimate Fitness in Pasig
By this time, it was July, the last month of Geoff's 3-month suspension from GMA. He was still a big 215 pounds. "Sa totoo lang, nung una ko siyang nakita, parang wala nang pag-asa," Tagle admitted. "Ang laki niya eh."

(To be honest, when I saw him the first time, it seemed like there was no hope. He was huge.)

Geoff's workout of choice (he had done frisbee and boxing in the past) was Fight Form which, according to the cover story, is Ultimate Fitness' body-weight course for newbies, done in circuit training intervals.

Step 4: He realized his finances were dwindling
This gave Geoff the extra push to lose weight, shape up and get back to work. "She (his girlfriend Carla Abellana) always asked if I wanted to go out to dinner. But I couldn't pay for shit, and I didn't want her to pay for anything," he said. According to the cover story, Geoff used his remaining money on training gear, gym sessions, gas and food.

Step 5: Geoff graduated from Fight Form and moved up to Level 2 (Caveman Training) and then Level 3 (actual fighter training)
"Yung fighter training is 40 minutes of warm-up, then an hour of drills, then an hour of sparring. We rotate around the different coaches and martial arts," said Geoff.

Step 6: He started eating better
The more you eat, the more you have to burn -- this was Tagle's rule for Geoff. "You have to condition your body into thinking na you're going to eat every two hours. That way, it's just going to keep on burning and burning," Geoff said.

BETTER AND FITTER FOR 2014. Geoff answers reporters' questions after the panel Q and A. Photo by Kai Magsanoc

He returned to work in GMA 7 in October 2013. Today, he is down to 170 pounds, and has 15 more pounds to go. (Find out how Geoff is working on this homestretch and more by grabbing a copy of the magazine.)

At the press event, when I went to the mic to ask questions to the editors and to Bianca, I sincerely told Geoff that he was an inspiration to everyone, not just to men but women, too.

And the baby face went up in a smile, and mouthed a gracious "thank you." - #CoffeeWithKai

No comments:

Post a Comment