Friday, April 18, 2014

Around the world with your TV through Cinemaworld

SUMMER TIME, MOVIE TIME. There is no need to wait for film festivals in malls. You can hold your own film fest in the comforts of your home. Photos courtesy of Context Innovators

CinemaWorld is the foreign film lover's dream come true

MANILA, Philippines - When I was younger and less busy, I would never miss any of the international film festivals held at malls. You'd see me week-long at Cine Europa and the French Film Festival at Shangri-La Plaza Mall in Mandaluyong, watching one free film after another. Never mind the long lines and the waiting; I always came out of the theater happy, like my hunger was satisfied. It was an amazing feeling.

(Actually, I was not the only one who did this. I eventually recognized familiar faces, fellow cinema lovers like me who enjoyed learning about other cultures through their stories and filmmaking techniques, with or without subtitles.)

But like I said, that was when I was younger. Nowadays, while I always make mental notes to catch films whenever I hear of an ongoing film festival, I almost always end up missing them. On weekdays, tired from the daily grind, I would rather go home and crawl into bed. On weekends, I catch up on work or tend to personal and family tasks.

Where has the cinema lover in me gone? I actually miss that part of my life. There was a time when I would surf foreign channels on cable, hoping to catch a foreign language film I can watch from start to finish. It's possible but not always easy.

Which is why I am so glad CinemaWorld came along.

CinemaWorld is not a new theater. It is a cable channel that airs international movies in their original language with subtitles. Think of it this way: we don't have to wait for international film festivals in malls anymore. We can satisfy our hunger for culture and great films with the help of CinemaWorld (channel 301 on Cable Link and 184 on Sky Cable HD).

This April, choose between being nomads or a son who re-connects with his family after 18 years or a mother who is also a detective, among many others:

"Growing In The Wind"
How much is one willing to sacrifice for family?

"Growing In the Wind" is about Aslan, a top student in a nomads winter place. He misses his chance to attend his final exams because of his problematic father, and has to study while being a shepherd. At the same time, Aslan has to teach the man in love with his sister how to be a better man.

Air date: April 20, Sunday, 9:00pm

"2 Francos, 40 Pesetas"
A homecoming like no other

"2 Francos, 40 Pesetas" was released just last March 28 in Spain. It is about Pablo, the 18-year-old son of Martin who left Switzerland for Madrid 6 years earlier. Pablo decides to return to their hometown in Swirzerland, Uzwil, with a friend. The visit and reunion with the family results in an unforgettable adventure.

Air date: April 27, Sunday, at 9:00pm

"Irene Huss"
Don't mess with this mom!

Fridays are all about thriller on CinemaWorld. This April, catch the Swedish series co-produced by Yellow Bird, the company behind the film adaptations of Stieg Larsson’s "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo."

"Irene Huss" is written by Swedish bestselling crime fiction author Helen Tursten. It is about Irene, a former European jiu-jitsu champion, mother of twin teenage girls, and a detective with the Violent Crimes Unit. In each episode, Irene has to face a world full of vicious crimes. Irene is played by Angela Kovacs.

The series airs until June, with two episodes per month.

Here's the trailer of "2 Francos, 40 Pesetas":

To know more about CinemaWorld and to see the daily film line-up, visit www.facebook.com/CinemaWorldAsia, follow @CinemaWorldAsia, or visit www.cinemaworld.asia. - #CoffeeWithKai

No comments:

Post a Comment